1) Avoid going out from 4-5:30 no matter whether on bike, foot or car. Its the HOTTEST time of day and everyone is on the road getting off from work. Grocery stores are packed, traffic is terrible, and as I only ride my bike to get around, I have to deal with irritable drivers who don't care weather they cut off cyclists. *shakes fist!*
2) Parts of Santa Fe have a very European culture. I know, I'm surprised too! Its an interesting combo, like a Mexican cupcake with European sprinkles. (HA! I would do a food analogy :) While walking around downtown, it surprises me how much it reminds me of Europe. The Pastry shops, cafe's, bakery's and restaurants definitely have european flare. The outdoor restaurants are nestled in courtyards with trees and foliage surrounding the area. Even when James and I go out for dinner, we've heard the other customers around us carry on conversations in French and Italian. Our waiters have thick british accents, and at times converse in french with the other patrons. James and I brought our Rosetta stone in Italian, so I am now encouraged to study up and learn italian.. what a wonderful way to spend the summer, I am so blessed!
3) Training for our marathon is going to suck. At least until we get used to the altitude (7,199 and YES it is a big change!) Back home I'm used to running in parks with big trees and provide shade, here it is so dry and literally a desert. The sidewalks in town are very uneven and narrow which lead me to run in the street, (remember the crazy drivers??) As I start to build up my mileage and run outside of town I'm sure It will be better, official training starts next week! James and I have joined the gym which is awesome. I have missed taking pilates and spin classes, so I have kept myself busy with those. This morning I did a 'boot camp' class and oh. my. goodness.. it kicked my @$$! The instructor was this little russian muscle lady who could totally kick my butt if she wanted to. I'm prepared to not be able to move in the morning. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment