Saturday, January 7, 2012

Karma

I evaded the law today.

James had an audition and I decided to go with him 1) to be supportive 2) because we no longer have frigid wind chills and the sun was out. James is in his audition garb, which means he looks like he should be going to a super fancy grown up party where they carry around platters with white gloves on. (ps I’m 26 and I still don’t consider myself “grown up”. I feel content with this, for now.)

As we near the station, we hear the train coming so we book it to the turnstiles. James gets through just fine, and my metro card (of course) has just expired and it won’t let me through. I hear the doors open so I swipe it again hoping but not expecting anything to happen, and nothing does. I didn’t want him to be late for his audition on account of me, so I, naturally, jumped over the turnstile because we were going to miss our train and I didn’t have time to put more money on my card. James just stars at me wide eyed, and yells at me for not paying and that I was going to get caught by the NY transit guy sitting over there.

Clearly, James is the more honest one out of the two of us.

It didn’t even matter though because we missed it just as the doors closed in front of our faces.  I didn’t get caught; I guess the transit guy was oblivious to our situation. But while we waited for the next train, James was looking up the penalty for cheating the subway system. $100 fine.

Who knew?

PS- We made it to James’ audition is plenty of time and he said it went great.

It’s what I get though, I try to cheat the system and I miss the train, hopefully that is the extent of bad subway karma.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Lindsey I laughed and laughed after reading this post.Glad everything went great afterwards. I can just envision James's face and your's also with that determined look on your face as jump into being a criminal without hesitation for the man you love! HAHAHAHA!
    Aunt Sue

    ReplyDelete